Purpose and Description:
The Manager, Media and Public Relations will provide leadership for communications activities and work closely with the Associate Director, Communications and communications, program, and policy staff in a matrix-managed environment to execute communication strategies that advance the organization's mission and policy priorities.
Under the direction of the Associate Director, the Manager will lead management of the organization's media and public relations activities and work to increase the visibility locally, nationally, and internationally, including working to position the organization as a leader in the media and among HIV and hepatitis partner organizations, funders and the community and developing and implementing communications and marketing strategies.
The Manager will also support ongoing communications activities in collaboration with the communications team, including, but not limited to, managing the website and blog, developing and sending out email newsletters, and managing social media channels.
• In collaboration with the Associate Director, lead the development and execution of public relations communications strategies that increase the visibility and awareness of the organization's activities locally, nationally, and internationally, and position the organization as a leader in the media and among HIV and hepatitis partner organizations, funders and the community
• Support management of all external communications activities for the organization, including press releases, media advisories, and statements on public policy issues and HIV-related news developments
• Utilize traditional (radio, print, TV) and new (blogs, social networking sites) media to advance the mission and policy priorities
• Assist team in updating the website, sending email newsletters, creating and disseminating social media content relevant to HIV and hepatitis, and developing analytic reports
• Support the design of templates, reports, eBooks, and other resources
• Other duties as assigned
• Strong interest in and/or knowledge of public health, especially HIV, hepatitis, STDs, and intersecting social inequalities that impact population health outcomes
• Experience working with and/or an understanding of communities impacted by HIV or other health disparities such as people of color, men who have sex with men (MSM), transgender individuals and people who inject drugs (PWID)
• Experience working with print, broadcast, and online/interactive media
• Experience managing social media for an organization and familiarity with strategies for increasing supporter participation and engagement
• Familiarity with content management systems (e.g., Drupal), email newsletter platforms (e.g., MailChimp), social media tools such as SproutSocial and graphic design programs such as Adobe Photoshop or Canva
• Experience with Microsoft Office applications
• Excellent analytical, writing, oral communication and listening skills
• Strong attention to detail and project management
• Ability to adapt to shifting and competing priorities in a fast-paced environment