Nonprofit HR is seeking dynamic candidates for an Accounting Manager position with one of our nonprofit clients in Washington DC.
The Accounting Manager is responsible for assisting the VP of Finance in all areas relating to general ledger/financial reporting. This position will assist in maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. The Accounting Manager supervises one staff accountant and is responsible for assisting in the management of the department to ensure that work is properly allocated and completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including payroll, general ledger preparation, financial reporting, tax compliance, year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecasting activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
· Support VP of Finance in managing and overseeing the daily operations of the accounting department.
· Participate in processing accounting transactions, such as accounts payable, cash receipts, general ledger entries, budget preparation, revenue and expenditure variance analysis, etc.
· Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
· Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close.
· Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
· Perform the processing of bi-weekly payroll in a timely and accurate manner.
· Perform monthly bank reconciliations in a timely and accurate manner.
· Supports budget and forecasting activities.
· Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
· Respond to inquiries from other departments regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
· Support the VP of Finance to ensure a clean and timely annual audit.
· Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
· Provide training to new and existing accounting staff as needed, especially in the areas of handling non-routine accounting transactions.
· Assist the VP of Finance in handling personnel issues relating absenteeism, performance issues, etc. within the department.
· Work with each direct report to establish and meet goals and objectives for each year and monitor and the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
· Establishes and maintains fiscal files and records to document transactions.
· Advises the VP of Finance on any corrective actions that need to be made to maintain and improve systems and procedures.
· Assists VP of Finance in establishing and enforcing proper accounting methods, policies and principles.
· Support VP of Finance with special projects.
The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by the VP of Finance.
BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting, CPA required
Technical Skills and Prior Experience
Five to seven years prior experience in the financial reporting/general ledger area with at least two years experience with payroll and supervision. Experience working in a not-for-profit trade association environment preferred.
Advanced computer skills on Microsoft Excel and Word, accounting software, and databases – experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP and the association management system, NetForum, preferred.
High attention to detail and accuracy
Proven knowledge of accounting principles, practices, standards, laws and regulations
Strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal
Strong supervisory and customer service skills required
Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.